COVID-19: Brisbane lockdown to end today at midday – Thursday 1 April 2021
The Greater Brisbane lockdown is to end a few hours early. It was scheduled to re-open at 5 pm this evening, but this has been brought forward to midday to allow families to head off for their Easter break according to Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk.
Content of this Post:
Although the lockdown will end, some other measures will remain – see below:
- You must carry a mask whenever you leave home, and wear it in indoor venues
- Hospitality venues can open with seated eating and drinking. No dancing.
- Private gatherings restricted to 30
- Businesses must institute the one person per 2 square metres rule
- Outdoor events must have a COVID-safe plan. Masks must be worn if social distancing is not possible.
- Church services allowed with 100 % occupancy but seating must be ticketed or allocated or adhere to the 2-square-metre rule.
- Restrictions on aged care, hospitals, disability care and correctional facilities apply – no personal visitors allowed during this period.
Some states instituted border closures against all travellers recently in the Greater Brisbane area, or indeed Queensland in general, when the lockdown was instituted. We have yet to hear about any modifications to these restrictions. Best check with your local state’s health department before you change any Queensland bound travel plans again.
Blues Festival cancelled
With the outbreak from Greater Brisbane leaking over the border into Byron Bay in New South Wales, the annual Blues Festival was cancelled for the 2nd year, earlier this week. NSW COVID-19 figures have not yet been reported for today.
What to do
If you have been in the Byron Bay area recently, then check the NSW Health list of COVID-19 case locations for advice on close and casual contacts. If you have been to one of the close contact venues, then you should self isolate for 14 days and be tested even if you have no symptoms. If you have attended a ‘casual contact’ location, then you should get tested and self isolate until receiving a negative result.